So you set up email address in Gmail and are now thinking, but what about all the email addresses I had in my address book – do I have to type these into Gmail? No! Thankfully Gmail makes it very easy to import your contacts from Outlook, Hotmail, Yahoo!, orkut, and other services into your new Google Mail account.
Create a CSV file of your contacts. CSV stand for comma separated values and the format of the data in the file – it is separated by commas!
I will use the example of Outlook to show how to create this a CSV file:
- Click on File, then Import and Export.
- This will start the Import and Export Wizard. Click on Export to a file. Next.
- Select Comma Separated Values (Windows). Next.
- Highlight Contacts. Next
- Click on browse to select the location and the name of the CSV file. OK. Next. Finish.
Log into your Gmail account and then follow these steps:
- Click Contacts on the left side of any Google Mail page.
- Click Import in the bottom left corner.
- Click Browse to locate the CSV file that you want to upload.
- Select the file and click Import.
You can then click on Contacts and will be able to view your recently imported contacts, along with any contacts that you have created in your Gmail account already.